Thursday, November 4, 2010

In Which Light Bear Watches Disney Movies - An Introduction

I would be lying to say that Disney has not played a very important part in my identity and my life.

Ever since we were young, my sister, my brother, and I have been avid fans of Disney. We grew up on the movies, we have been influenced by the movies, and we still enjoy them. Although age and responsibility have brought my sister and I away from Disney movies, my brother, who is autistic and doesn't really have all the same responsibilities as my sister and I, is still a large fan and devotes a lot of time to collecting and enjoying Disney memorabilia. He also still watches a lot of Disney movies.

It has occurred that until a few years ago - the exact date keeps changing, as I keep disapproving of the naivete of my younger self - I never really absorbed much of anything from anything. Sure, I can remember events of, say, a movie I've seen, but I cannot remember how it affected me emotionally, or whether it was good or anything of the like. I can remember the images, but not the meaning, to put it into so many words.

For these reasons, I have decided to watch the Animated Disney Canon again. And as I love my bro and enjoy spending time with him, I have decided to watch the movies with him. He has agreed to do this with me.

Every Saturday morning, the first thing we will do in the morning is watch a movie. During the movie, I will be taking notes on it. Not anything big, like you'd have to do for a class, but little blurbs, murmuring about stuff that sticks out to me. When the movie is done, I'll run to the computer and make a post of the following format:

Image of Character From Movie - I like drawing, sue me
Name of Film - So I don't confuse you guys
Release Date - When the movie was first released in theaters. I'm not gonna count rereleases, as we'd be here all day for some of the older ones.
Basis - Because a lot (if not all) Disney animated movies are based off something or another.
Synopsis - Most Disney movies are pretty well known, and there are better places to look for reference than me on this sort of thing, but I'll provide a synopsis of the movie here.
Notes - Just a bit of an expansion of the thoughts I jotted down in my notes. It'll mostly be personal commentary, so I don't suspect it'll hold up for everyone, but this is gonna be my criticism of it or whathaveyou.

Now, having carried out a few of these reviews already (I've posted a few reviews already on message boards I frequent), I better understand the trend I'll be carrying out. Due to various complications with my real life, there's a good chance that I'll be obliged to skip a week, but this is supposed to be a weekly endeavor. Usually I'll note if there's a delay in advance, as each post (starting with Fantasia, the most current one as to this writing - it doesn't make sense to me to post the old dates when they serve no purpose) will contain the date of the following video as well as the title.

My objective here is to watch the Disney movies in the order they were released in the Animated Canon. This is mostly so that I can trace the development of the Disney "style" as well as review the more obscure Disney movies (i.e. animated compilations like The Three Cabelleros and Melody Time released in the 40s). After that, I'm not exactly sure; I do want to see the live action movies (such as Treasure Island and Blackbeard's Ghost), and I'd love to review Pixar's works, but I'm not exactly sure where I'd fit them in after that. There also exists some of the animated Disney movies that aren't part of the Animated Canon (A Goofy Movie and the various Disney sequels, for example). I'll eventually make my decision in this regard, I suppose, but my first and foremost objective is to watch the movies of the official Disney Animated Canon (which you can see at Wikipedia or TV Tropes).

Additionally, if I happen to catch any movies in theaters that fit the bill of my current list (for example, if I happen to see Tangled while it's in theaters), or if a movie is released that fits into a previous list, I may perform a special update for that movie. It's not a certain thing, but I might decide to do such.

Finally, for this project, there will be spoilers for each of the movies I discuss, if you care about that sort of thing. If I do opt to review a newly-released movie, I will repeat my spoiler warning, but otherwise, this is the only warning you will get for this.

Thank you for reading through my post here and I hope you enjoy these experiences as much as I will!

No comments:

Post a Comment